“Working with Andy is an awesome experience. We gave him the challenge of simplifying our overly-complex consumer product, but without sacrificing any functionality. He did a ton of research and ended up producing designs that we'll be using for years to come.”Louis de Menthon, CEO, Eat This Much
“Andy has a highly structured process, clearly focused on the specific objectives. The resulting recommendations are data driven and not only describe a clear set of next steps toward improving the product, but also highlight previously unforeseen areas to address.”Bret Nagy, Technical Director, Microgroove
Information Architecture & Content Strategy
Information architecture (IA) is the structural design of a shared information space. IA tasks analyze and synthesize organizational goals, user needs, content properties, and technical requirements into coherent, actionable models. Content strategy orchestrates the purposeful planning, creation, delivery, and governance of content. Content strategy and IA work hand-in-hand on information rich sites to ensure that content is findable, useful, and responsive to both user needs and business goals.
- Card sorting and tree testing
- Content inventorying & auditing
- Content modeling
- Taxonomy & metadata design
- Page layout, wireframing & interaction design
- Navigation modeling & design
- Creating usable, useful, goal-oriented interfaces
- Framing common language and alignment across systems (CMS, CRM, ERP)
- Bridging system touchpoint (desktop, mobile, voice, smart device, and third party integrations)
Research is the cornerstone of effective design. It's how we know we're solving the right problem—and often points to novel, elegant solutions. I tailor research efforts to scale to client resources and needs, and focus on finding the answers needed to produce positive change.
- Stakeholder and user interviewing
- Contextual analysis
- Competitive auditing
- Heuristic reviews
- Baseline and prototype usability testing
- Research synthesis and design principles framing
- Persona and archetype creation
- Clear and actionable design principles
- Alignment on key tasks and use cases
- Clear business and user goal definition
Seattle Children's needed a global design approach that fit user needs across desktop and mobile.
Linked Data Design & Development
Linked data techniques connect structured content on the web. This makes information easier for users to find, and easier for search engines and AI powered smart agents to locate, “understand,” and use. A lot of linked data practices look very technical and algorithm focused, but all of them are ultimatley designed to make content and messaging more available, usable, and trustworthy.
- Attribute modeling
- Metadata application profile creation
- Ontology adoption and design
- CMS integration support
- Content optimized for modern search engines
- Inreased control over the integrity and use of content
- Data made available on the semantic web
- Content made available to voice interface smart agents and digital assistants.
Workshops & Classes
I offer a variety of client and practitioner focused workshops, each customized and targeted to specific, measureable outcomes and designed to create durable, positive change for organizations and individuals. I am a formally trained university-level educator, though don’t expect any dusty lectures—I am also a firm believer in the power of structured, interactive, hands-on learning.
"I recently attended Andy's class, Emerging Technologies in UX, at the School of Visual Concepts. This was one of the best courses I have ever taken. Although it was only a single day, I would have loved this to be an entire weekend."Tova Soroka, Strategic Projects, Microsoft
“It was so easy to follow and understand the principles [Andy] wanted us to become comfortable with. The principles built on each other in a logical way and were presented through productive frames and contexts.”"Data Management for Content Designers” workshop participant, IA Conference 2019